Sunday, July 22, 2007

The marketing campaign

The Transformers is the name of a line of toys designed and produced by toy companies Takara in Japan, and Hasbro in the United States, from 1984 onward. There have also been a number of spin-offs based on the toys including a Marvel comic book series, an animated television series program presented by Claster Television, a television company started by Hasbro for this purpose. The animated series started airing in 1984 and continues to air today. The Transformers toys has never gone out of production since their first release, new toys are released every year.

Recently, a movie was made based on the comic book series and the animated television series. The movie, released on July 3, 2007, was accompanied by fan promotions in the form of blogs, advertising campaigns by GM, Pepsi, Burger King, Vespira, and a game by Gametap. GM released several commercials advertising their new car models with the slogan "Transforms your ride." GM also had several of their car models featured in the movie as characters. Vespira gave away tickets to the movie to customers who test drove their new vehicles. Burger King gives away Transformers toys with the purchase of either a Big Kids or Mighty Kids meal. A Transformers game was also released by Gametap to accompany the movie. The game allows players to choose which side he/she wants to be on.

The campaign behind Transformers utilized all of the forums available to promote the movie. The movie gives movie goers a piece of the Transformers' story, giving just enough to satisfy the general public, but holding back enough to challenge would be fans. For those who are more involved and wants to know more about the history of the Transformers, there are websites that tell the origin of the Transformers, also the comic books provide fans with a more in depth story, the animated series also provide fans with more in depth information, and the game allow fans to become a part of the Transformers' world.

5 comments:

D.L. said...

I am not a fan of Transformers. I was a big He-Man guy. I don't know if I was too young or what but I really have know idea about the transformers story. I do know that I don't like how they are trying to use synergy, or my idea of what synergy is. This is a huge block buster movie that is going to make hundreds of millions no matter how crappy, but they have to go and sign a couple of million dollar endorsement deal with Chevrolet so that Chevy can pimp their cars in the movie? Even if I'm a hardcore Transformers fan I'm not going to buy a damn Chevy Colorado because I need to "transform" my ride. I think this hits at the point made in the Jenkins book about American Idol and how ATT screwing up the vote hurt the show and its other sponsors. I don't like Chevy, especially gas guzzling ones. I find the whole Chevy vehicles in the film bit hokey and it's one of the reasons I won't see the film. It's a big turn off. It's the same feeling I had when I watched the latest Bond film and there is a scene where he is blatantly driving a Ford Focus. I started laughing because James Bond was driving the same car my grandma has.

Jackbenimble said...

Transformers, how can you go wrong with Optimusprime. I was a bit surprised during the presentation when you noted that Transformers have and still are currently being produced, I would have said absolutely not.
I didn't agree with one of your bloggers comments. I have friends that are huge transformer fans, and I know more than a few people who have gone out and purchased a Chevrolet vehicle because they original were able to see them on the big screen. That wasn't the only reason but it was an initial reason to check one out. The Transformer team has done a tremendous job marketing not only transformers but also other companies that can benefit from the exposure.

Ashley said...

Personally, I think without the cartoon and toys, the film will still be a blockbuster success. Robots, lots of action, and exciting storylines are all things that summer movie goers enjoy. Obviously with the success of the cartoon in the 1980’s as well as the popularity of the toy, the film will be/has been a huge success. One thing that I thought might be interesting to note was that there were some Transformer/G.I. Joe crossover cartoons as well as comic books. Since both toys and cartoons targeted and attracted the same demographics, this helped attract even more fans who previously liked one and not the other.

Matt Frank Lee said...

Chany;

Your blog made full use of the media embedding options and I spent some time checking out the game -- thanks for the links!

The content of the blog took for granted (or didn't explore explicitly) the specific campaign co-ordination for extension and franchising, but Transformers is perhaps the most current and best known example of these phenomenon and your presentation amplified these themes a little more, as well.

One thing to point out is that Transformers is unique in that the dolls/toys came first, and that Hasbro used the Star Wars toy line experience from their past to 'reverse engineer" the Transformers idea... meaning that they went from toy to story, when usually (as in Star Wars) it has been the other way around.

Also: note that a key problem in extension has to do with gender, getting both sexes interested... which in this case is a hidden secret of Transformers' success! Girls tend to play with dolls and boys with machines... the transformers are both doll and machine!

Viola! You have a major hit with such dynamic synergy!!!

LONDON said...

Im not a big fan of Transformers. I actually have never heard of it before. But I think the target market of this maybe focused on young kids or people who love superheros. When i was young, i loved to watch many Japanese superheros movies and i loved to collect superheros models. But i think once people grow up, they tend to pay less attention to thoes toys or cartoons. Juts like Ashley said, The Transformers tends to focus to specific grops of people who are really crazy about it.